This month we’re celebrating our 50th magiversary. We all got a bit emotional after watching this video – it’s been quite the journey – seeing all those covers made us realise just how many issues fifty actually looks like. But the journey is far from over, so we asked Jane Toft, Mollie Makes’ first editor and dear friend, for 50 tips on making the most of our craft adventures: 50 crafty things to do before you’re 50. How many can you tick off?
1. Start your own Stitch and Bitch or Knit and Natter group.
2. Dye your hair pink, or at least ombré.
3. Nail it. Forget the safe French manicure go for bold with statement nail art! Pinterest is your friend.
4. From coconut oil to beetroot juice lip stain try your hand at making homemade beauty products – if you can resist eating it!
5. Make something completely impractical. Crochet apple cosy anyone?
6. Turn guerrilla and try a little Yarnstorming (the activity formerly known as Yarn Bombing). Miss Deadly Knitshade will brief you.
7. Have a good nose round designer-makers’ studios.
8. Throw confetti… and not at a wedding.
9. Arm knit something practical.
Project in Mollie Makes 45
10. Get subversive with your embroidery.
11. Stop umming and ahhing and make that patchwork quilt.
12. Become a craftivist and get behind a crafty campaign.
13. Take the plunge: open an online shop.
14. Have a pattern clashing sort of day.
15. Be a crafty superhero, don a cape and colourful tights.
16. Make your own motivational print.
17. Take your camera out of manual mode!
Project in Mollie Makes 50
18. Relearn the art of origami.
19. Learn how to make tassels and trim all the things. See Jen Gotch
20. Get into daily doodling, journaling or make a zine.
21. Tie dye plain fabrics.
22. Go on a photo walk (remember to take balloons).
23. Rethink the WI. It’s cool now, join!
24. Make a shrinky dink.
25. Wear your pom poms.
26. Brave Jellies and socks.
Project in Mollie Makes 49
27. Weave some wall art.
28. Craft in the public.
29. Upscale. Think big with your next project.
30. Revisit childhood crafts.
Project in Mollie Makes 48
31. Refashion a charity shop find.
Photo Courtesy of Tolt Yarn and Wool, www.toltyarnandwool.com
32. Gather enough supplies to make a craft fort.
33. Learn a vintage craft technique.
34. Host a craft and cocktails night.
35. Write more letters and love notes.
36. Ditch muddy music festivals for creative conferences. (We love Blogtacular)
37. Get messy. Throw a pot. There’s something so satisfying about working with wet clay.
38. Find your spirit animal on Instagram.
39. Spray something gold.
40. Start a collection. Be inspired by the Obsessionistas site.
41. Invest in a mustard cardi – we love ours!
42. Grow some houseplants. They’re the desk friends we all need.
43. Knit or stitch in neon.
44. Wear odd socks on Sundays.
45. Introduce a friend to a craft show.
46. Create a mini terrarium.
47. Start a blog – for fun – absolutely no pressure. We don’t like pressure.
48. Master the cat’s eye flick.
49. Go on a digital detox and unplug.