Kirsty Hartley shares her 5 sewing tips for creating the ultimate kids’ party outfit
Kirsty Hartley is emerging as the children’s wear designer of the moment. Her exclusive play-time dress pattern found in issue 25 is perfect for children’s parties with a theme. From summer frocks to play-time dresses, Kirsty shares her 5 top sewing tips for adapting the pattern.
1. Simply adapt the face pattern. Try different faces or creatures to create a costume that suit the theme.
2. The play-time dress pattern is quite generic, so it could be used for lots of different projects. To make a summer dress: simply use the pattern for the main dress and cut a half lining so that the fastenings are finished. If you extend the button edges by 10cm you can create ties at the shoulders for a lovely sundress pattern. Why not use a lovely spring print?
3. Have fun and experiment. Remember, you don’t have to be too precious, little ones grow so quickly. Plus, they’ll just love that it’s been made just for them.
4. Using an iron on adhesive gives an excellent finish for fixing the features.
5. Accessorise with a plain top and cool stripy tights, or use as an outfit for a themed party such as cat and mouse.
Choose some prints from Fabric Friday