Moodboard Monday: Doilies
Doilies and spring time go together like Easter and bunnies, and we’re feeling inspired by Donna Bramhall’s sweater makeover in issue 12 of Mollie Makes. Donna has used doilies to transform a plain top, but we can’t stop with clothing. We’ve got lots of doilies tucked away in drawers just waiting to have their moment. Try these ideas for adding prettiness to your home…
1. Decorate an understated quilt with a trio of vintage doilies. This beautiful design comes from Make it Sew Modern by Vanessa Christenson of V & Co. Photograph by Brent Kane and published by Martingale.
2. Brighten up a plain room scheme in an afternoon with a doilie mobile – it casts amazing shadows. This one was designed by Justine of Urban Scarlet and you can find a tutorial on her blog. Would look wonderful in a little girl’s bedroom too.
3. Okay, these are only paper doilies, but crochet doilies would do just the same. What a way to wrap a bunch of flowers. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. This doilie flower wrap was designed by Chelsea Fuss for Papermash.
4. Go easy on the icing and stun them with a doilie – unexpectedly chic, no? Drape a doilie, add a flower and you get the cake with the wow factor! Cake design by Sweet and Saucy.
5. For parties or everyday celebration, use doilies en masse as bunting. For colour, you can dye the doilies or mix with vintage hankies. They’ll look so pretty catching the breeze. Crochet doilie bunting designed by Rebekah of Bekahdu Handmade.
With all these ideas, we think we’re always going to be just a little bit in love with doilies.
- Posted at 09.30